Friday, April 24, 2009

Fast Food

Our much-anticipated and greatly needed fund-raiser is here! It will be held on Sunday at 12:00 noon and we are praying for around 100 people to come. Including the 40 of us already at AMCC, we'll be feeding 140 people ourselves, and all for about $1.25 per person!
This fund-raiser is the first one that AMCC has ever held, and is a really good sign for them. We are stoked to see John and Nancy taking initiative and trying to engage the community around them to be involved with AMCC, rather than relying on Nick and I (and people we know) for the financial needs at AMCC. The money from this fundraiser will be spent exclusively on the needs that exist for AMCC. Food, rent, firewood, school fees, salaries (John and Nancy have not been paid in their 2 years of work at AMCC and have no other source of income!), income generating projects, transportation, phone bills, etc... We'll also be setting aside the amount of money that it put to put on this fundraiser so that when we need to have another we already have money saved for it. This is a BIG change in thinking and Nick and I are pretty stoked to see it happen!
I am writing here to ask people to PRAY- not give money! This fund-raiser is very much about what AMCC can do here, on their own, and is kind of a guage for us about what is possible here. I think that there's a lot more potential here than people give credit for. Anyway, I am asking people to please PRAY for God to move and for AMCC to be greatly provided for from this fund-raiser. The number that I've decided to ask God for is: at least 200,000 Kenyan shillings. That's about $2,500. It's a lot, but I figure that God is rich and creative so it's not beyond His hand to give it to us. Plus, the reality is that amount won't cover costs for even a full three months, so it's actually low in comparison with our need.
In particular, I am asking you if you'd fast one meal before Sunday, devoting that time to praying for AMCC and this event. Since it's pretty self-righteouss to tell people you're fasting, don't! However, I would like to get a sense of how many people are doing this. If you're going to fast, then please leave a comment under this blog post saying something like "I'm going to fast" or "Me and 35 friends are gong to fast", etc... Just make sure that you leave the comment as "Anonymous". I'm quite excited to see what happens when many people come together to pray for something. Thanks for praying for us, we'll be updating you on the fund-raiser next week!

Oh, and John and Nancy and the children say that they love you. :-)

3 comments:

  1. Mark, Are people supposed to send stuff (checks) to your parent's home or to your church? I can't remember. Please say somewhere. Thanks!!

    I got sick last time I fasted. :-( it was aweful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll fast and pray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, I will fast & pray.

    ReplyDelete