Wednesday, April 1, 2009





Hey! Here are a few pics finally on my blog! The first is of John's entire family (and me)! Nick and I went on a lovely 2 hour journey to visit JOhn's wife and children two weeks ago. They live close to Mt. Kenya (well, about 40 miles away, but that thing is so huge it feels close) and the trip in general was really enjoyable! We ate wonderful food prepared by John's wife, Nancy, and enjoyed great conversation with friends as well. I "looked smart" for the occassion, as it is actually how I should look for almost everything I do around here. Right now it's my day off, so I'm in a t-shirt and shorts. Woohoo.

Second picture is me balancing firewood on my head. It stayed on for about two seconds. WE cook all of our meals over an open fire here, so we have to pay about $40 a month for firewood. It's a lot of wood, and all of the kids walk about a quarter of a mile with it on their backs to bring it back to AMCC once a month. That's on the day's when they're not fetching water from the well across the courtyard...

The last picture is when Bidco oil company (as in, cooking oil) came to visit us last Sunday. It was AWESOME! The kids just started running around and yelling and laughing and clapping and it was just one of the coolest things I've experienced here. I also got pretty stoked about it, because God answered our prayers for other sources of input for AMCC, especially for ones to come from Kenya! They brought foods which Nick and I have never eaten at AMCC, and honestly I got crazy happy also. It was so much fun to see God providing this stuff, and for it to be coming from Kenyans was so cool to see- something which others in the community think will never happen since Nick and I are here (i.e. white people= money, so no one will help AMCC out). We're praying for that stereotype to chance and are stoked to see steps toward it!
Also, since I'm on the picture that has people all happy, let me say that AMCC is now very close to completing the 2 year process of becoming a gov't recognized children's center! The public health officer came last week and said it was "very clean", which apparently is pretty rare. We're stoked about this approval and are looking forward to the legal benefits that this status will grant AMCC. Due to fantastic Kenyan bureacracy, it might take a year for this to happen, but I'm hoping it'll only be a few months. Literally, all we need to to file the correct paper work. Oh waiting!

1 comment:

  1. Praise God! what cool pics and colors! btw, you should be getting some sunscreen soon in a package. :-)

    ReplyDelete