Friday, February 27, 2009

Jambo and habari yako to you! (Hello and how are you?) I’m writing this blog a bit earlier than I anticipated to because… well things have gone a bit differently.
On top of Nick’s flight getting in 4 hours later than we thought, me forgetting my journal in Lusaka (which had all of my pertinent phone numbers for Kenya), and my bank not allowing me to withdraw money (even though I told them I would be leaving the country beforehand), my one checked bag got lost by the airlines yesterday. Thusly, Nick and I are having a much more relaxed day in Nairobi, waiting to see if my bag gets found. We’re done with all of our errands (which, praise the Lord, were all accomplished within a five minute walk of the place where we are staying, the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Gichane, who were my hosts the last time I was in Kenya and whom God used WONDERFULLY to welcome and encourage Nick and I last night) and, since we’re waiting/praying for my luggage, we’ve got time to use the free internet at a local coffee shop. I’m also enjoying maybe the best smoothie of my life!
So, this is mostly to let you all know that Nick and I are safely in Kenya, that I CAN now get money out of my bank account, and that my bag (which had most of my clothes and other non-important things in it) is lost. I’ve lost no sleep over it, and in fact have found myself laughing that something like this finally happened to me. I’m certainly glad it happened to me and not to Nick. Oh yeah, and they almost didn’t let me into the country because I didn’t have a return ticket for when I leave Kenya. It took about ten minutes to persuade the officer that I was going to take a bus out of Kenya, that this was always my plan, and that I wasn’t going to be stuck in Kenya (she said that sometimes friends don’t help even when people are stuck, so they don’t like people in who don’t have a ticket. Praise God I was allowed in, and if you come to Kenya then don’t do it one-way).
So pray for my bag, and for Nick and I to learn swahili, and travel well. Thank God for his provision and care of us so far, and that we’ve had a really enjoyable and fun time here. Ooh! I found my 2nd favorite fruit from Fiji today in the store- custard apples! Anyway, God is good and it’s been fun so far. We’re headed on to Naivasha from here, and eventually to Thika. Oh, and if you want to call Nick or myself you are certainly welcome to! Don’t forget the country code (254).
Nick: (254) 0712397294 Mark: (254) 0716927086

No comments:

Post a Comment