Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Here I Go!

Well, the day has finally arrived. Tomorrow I'll get picked up at 3:25 a.m. by a shuttle and taken to Denver International Airport. My flight takes off at 6:25 a.m., meaning that it'll be too dark for me to see the beautiful Rockies one last time. Oh well, better things are in store... (and higher ones e.g. Mt. Kenya)
From there I'll spend 5 hours laying over in D.C. before I leave for Johannesburg, S.A. at 5:30 tomorrow night. That 15 hour flight will put me in S.A. around 3 in the afternoon, and I'll then make camp in the airport for about 15 hours until I leave the next morning (the 20th) for Lusaka.
From Lusaka I've got to get from the airport to an ATM, get some food, and then get to the bus station. It's a 6 hour bus ride from Lusaka to Kitwe. I wonder how much I will remember, and how excited I'll be!! (Last time I tried to fly to Zambia it took me 30 hours longer to get from Lusaka to Kitwe than I had anticipated, I'm really hoping that it'll go smoother this time, though God has His ways and I trust Him...)
Once on that side I'll make a blog post and talk about how interesting/boring my trip was. And post some pictures too! I'm very excited for this, my longest international travel sequence ever (not counting my bicycling trip, which certainly deserves a category of it's own).

I am venturing out on this trip, and not just to a different continent. I've left my job, my community, the stability of life that I've developed in Denver, ease of language, access to most of my favorite foods, and a general understanding that I know what my life is going to be like when I wake up each day. This trip will probably not be like that...
For the most part, I'm going on this trip to develop relationships, with John Muhika (www.amcckenya.org), Nick Jackson, the boys at the Nehemiah Boy's Ranch (http://web.mac.com/walkersxl/iWeb/Walker%20Fam%20in%20Zam/The%20Nehemiah%20Project.html) , and Karen Hartman. Please ask God to guide each of these and for His Kingdom to come in and through them. I also ask that you'd pray for personal discipline for myself. I no longer have the support structures I've grown accustomed to, and my falls in africa will go farther and hurt deeper. I greatly appreciate your Body-Movement in this regard. Please let me know how I can pray for you!
Kingdom Come.

No comments:

Post a Comment