Sunday, June 21, 2009

Glad to start!

Well I'm at the beginning (or end) of a week here, depending on whose calendar you're looking at, and I feel a bit more rested and at peace now than I did a week ago. Main reason: I've mostly started the things I came here to do! 
I spent my first two weeks just trying to understand the schedules, circumstances, and environments that I'll be working in here. Now that's I've got my feet under me a bit more I've begun, and I'm enjoying it!
I did my first Bible study with the kids at the orphanage on Friday, and it was really fun! There were about 8 kids ages 10-12 and they were 1:15 later than I thought they'd be home (though probably not their fault, in fact it was mostly Miss Communication's fault) so they had to eat lunch while I was teaching, but they were paying attention and seemed to enjoy it. There were two teachers from the orphanage who stayed in the room while I did it and they helped and encouraged the kids to speak up and not be shy with me "You can't fear him" they'd say in their sweet Northern-Rhodesian accents. :-)
I've also led my second Bible study for unmarried men aged 14-30 at the local church, and it's cool. Today there was just one guy for the first five minutes, then we found Shad, one of Karen's students (16) and eventually two of the guys from the church band came along. We talked about how God made sex good, and I tried to convince one of them that being made in God's image does not mean that God physically looks like us. I enjoyed it, and even though we didn't get through what I had planned for today, I was cool with it because I've got like 8 weeks to go- so we can just do it next week!
At the Boy's Ranch I finally figured out a plan for what to do with Chishala, Kellys, and Felix. I've finished my book on counseling for drug addiction (which, although it was written for professional counselors, was still quite interesting) and am ready to start a Bible study with them specifically designed for people with "life controlling problems". We're going to do that all together, and with no interpreter! They were pretty stoked about that, I think because then they won't have to worry about their leaders being there keeping an eye on them. On top of that I'll be meeting with them individually to talk about a whole host of things: business ideas, where they'll live when they leave, what they're struggling with right now, how to stay off the streets, what kind of a life they want to live, who is God to them, what team are they rooting for in the Confederations Cup, etc... 
The goal of my interaction with these guys is to prepare them for when they leave, so I'm trying to let that guide me as I'm here. Ex: I'm wanting these guys to have a regular prayer life, so we're going to pray together 3 times a week. When none of them showed up the first day, I told each of them individually that I wasn't offended that they weren't there. That prayer time is not for me, I said, but for you. I know that I'm offering them some cool stuff, but I can't make them do it. They can take it or leave it, but I'm certain that if they do it they will benefit and if they don't they'll reap the consequences. I know that there won't be someone forcing them to pray, or plan ahead for their business, or whatever when they're gone, so I'm trying to get them used to becoming their own accountability. It's very freeing for me to know that it's not my responsibility to change them!

In other news, Karen's Uncle George and cousin Bryce have come and will be here till next weekend. AND BRYCE IS HILARIOUS!!! He and I are completely on the same page with our sarcasm and jokes, and it's just refreshing my socks off (it would be like if Desi came, but in the body of an unmarried 22-year old University of Arizona Wildcat). Uncle George is also pretty chill and fun to talk to, and I'm really enjoying my time with each of them. 

Did you know that Emeralds and other such precious stones are fairly cheap in Zambia? I was unaware. Anyone want anything (not a diamond, please, as here they are almost certainly conflict-related)? Just let me know and I'll try to find it, quote you a price, and I can take it back for you! 

   I also harvested sweet potatoes this week, which was pretty cool. 

My girlfriend is amazing. 

2 comments:

  1. we love you!
    do the older guys have jobs or job potential? this must be a prayer request....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. Your girlfriend IS amazing and so is my husband. Glad you found someone to remind you of Desi.

    Awesome to hear how God is leading, guiding and providing. HE IS TRULY AMAZING!!!
    ~Rose

    ReplyDelete